The news pundits have decided that scare tactic messaging works for their agenda. The amount of inquiries that I have had asking about pre-existing conditions alone proves this point, the inaccurate messaging is being heard. We've all heard the recent story about Jimmy Kimmel's newborn child, these stories frighten us and touch our hearts but they're simply not the truth.
Additional Facts About Pre-Existing Conditions:
- Jimmy Kimmel's child: The fact is that babies are guarantee issue for 30 days after birth. No questions asked. Jimmy's baby wouldn't have had an issue under the ACA and he wouldn't have had an issue even before the ACA was passed. The AHCA will not change this.
- Pre-existing conditions are covered now, and will remain covered under the proposed AHCA Bill. There was discussion on having someone have a pre-existing conditions clause if they lapse their coverage due to non-payment, etc. However, that's not in the bill.
- For those that are uncovered for 63 days or more, there is a provision to charge up to 30% more. Again, more money but pre-existing conditions are still covered.
- The Upton amendment and the MacArther amendment protect people with pre-existing conditions.
- If a state wants to take up a waiver to exclude themselves from the Essential Health Benefits or Community Rating (no medical underwriting) they can do so, but only under the condition that the state adds a high risk pool to cover those with pre-existing conditions.
There is hope! I think this uncertainty can be a positive if you treat the turmoil as an opportunity to be a resource to your clients. Let's face it, who else will your clients get answers from if not you? Please don't say "the news." Be the Resource! Be the certainty in this very uncertain industry!
Providing the Voice of Reason in Uncertainty Will Set You Apart
There are many challenges ahead of all of us. The AHCA could get stalled in the Senate or released from the Senate much changed from the House bill. Carriers are required to file plans for 2018 in the next week. Will the IRS enforce the Individual Tax Penalty and/or the Employer Mandate? What will the rates look like? How will everyone that needs coverage on the individual market enroll in a drastically reduced enrollment period? FYI: November 1st to December 15th is less than half the time allowed last year! Will employers still need to file 1094/1095s? These questions and many more remain unanswered.
URL Insurance Group is your resource to get the answers you need, we give you access to:
- Weekly AHCA Update Webinars that last for less than 30 minutes each week and are a place to learn the latest updates on the law, ask your questions during the open forum, listen to others' questions and learn.
- Weekly HCR Newsletter featuring important legislative updates, carrier updates and incentives, training opportunities, and articles chosen to provide insight into our industry.
- Excellent trained staff to answer your questions on all topics including Compliance.
- Benefit Administration Portals that provide monitoring of measurement periods that can also generate the required 1095/1094 notices.
- HR Attorney for those tough to answer questions.
- Complimentary Cobra, Wraps, POPS, Benefit Notices
- Much, much more!
Your clients deserve the right answers and the knowledge that they're in capable hands to help them through this uncertain market. Be that voice of certainty and allow URL to assist you in providing the most "up-to-the-minute" information. We KNOW the extra effort to stay informed and provide the facts to your clients will prove to your clients they're with the Broker they can trust to provide certainty in this uncertain market!
Comment below to share your thoughts about the uncertain health market and get your questions answered.